Thursday 19 August 2010

Reggae for Reggaehaters


Once upon a time I was a one, a
Reggaehater. Until I went on holiday to Jamaica. To keep me occupied while lying on those white beaches sipping fruit shakes I bought the book Bass Culture - When Reggae Was King by Lloyd Bradley. This fist thick book tells the story of reggae in the context of the island's sociological and political history, which is a turbulent one. I bought a Studio One box set and started listening to all the old stuff. And after seeing the dancehall queens on telly in our hotel room I was SOLD. I was no longer a Reggaehater.

So when a friend of mine declared she hated reggae with a passion I strongly felt the urge to try to convert her. Sadly she's returning to her heimat today, so as a goodbye present I made her a compilation of my favorite reggae tunes. I guess technically speaking it's not all pure reggae, there's some ska and early dancehall in there as well, but pff.. Bob Marley is not on there, but his son Damien is, along with a.o. Dawn Penn, Horace Andy, Toots & The Maytals, Yellowman, Chacka Demus & Pliers, Mr. Vegas and Tanya Stephens. These names don't ring a bell? Download the zip file and give 'm a listen. Maybe you'll see the light as well? And if you're already a Reggaelover I'm sure you will enjoy this string of hits.

Get it here (128 kb MP3s + tracklisting)(YSI).

No comments:

Post a Comment