Tuesday 14 July 2009

a hymn to Cymru


In my last blog post I was whining about how much I missed Holland. Here we are, a week later and the homesick feelings have vanished. It must have been my hiking trip along the Pembrokeshire coast. Absolutely STUNNING. Not exactly rock 'n roll, but it is wild and rugged, hell yeah. And such friendly people. The bus driver, our neighbour at the campsite, the farmer… Oh so sweet I wanted to take them home with me!

Another plus about Wales is that the Welsh love singing. The singing during a rugby game is deafening! Wales has spawned some very famous singers: Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey and let's not forget the notorious Charlotte Church. Wales is also pretty well represented when it comes to the female singers who have been dominating the (indie)charts lately. Duffy, Adele (okay okay, she’s only half Welsh) and more recently Marina & the Diamonds and Ellie Goulding. I really dig the latter one. She is a folky singer songwriter, who fiddles with electronics. And like every other self-respecting female singer using electronics, there just has to be a dubstep remix. Her's is done by Jakwob. It isn't as massive as "the other one", but still very good.

Ellie Goulding feat. Frankmusic – Wish I Stayed. Get it here (YSI).

Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed (Jakwob Remix). Get it here (YSI).

No comments:

Post a Comment