Sunday 19 July 2009

the very best since Township Funk


With the new Dutch Dolls website online, and a break from my regular illustration work due to the summer holiday, I finally found the time to start working my picture book. I’m not giving away too much about the plot, but I can tell you it’s about music and various types of animals, especially lots of apes

At first I thought it would be fun to do a musical blog post with an ape-theme (The Apers, Can Your Monkey Do The Dog, etc.). But as I was doing lots of studies of apes from books, I was taken to tropical places like the jungles of
Southeast Asia and the savanna’s of Africa. I decided it might be more interesting to post some tracks based on their geographical origins. I'll do a post on Southeast Asian tunes later, I now present you a few songs from Africa. Enjoy the very best of what has come from this continent since Mujava’s Township Funk!

Hip hop artist K’naan was born in Somalia and has been living in Canada since he was 13. His third album, Troubadour, has just been released and I dig it a lot!! On the album are guest appearances of artists such as Damian Marley and Mos Def, and now Afrikan Boy joins in on a remix of T.I.A..

K’naan- T.I.A. (Remix feat. Afrikan Boy). Get it here (YSI).

Husband and wife Amadou and Mariam are what you could call musical veterans. They’ve been playing together ever since they met at Mali's Bamako Institute for the Young Blind in 1975! Their popularity has been growing steadily over the years, and jumped when Manu Chao worked with them in 2003. Now they seem to have entered the realms of mainstream, with even a Bmore remix of their single Sabali!

Amadou & Mariam - Sabali (Uproot Andy RMX). Get it here (YSI).

Now for The Very Best, that's what the two guys from Radioclit (from London) and Esau Mwamwaya (from Malawi) call themselves.
And I must say, they live up to their name. I'm a fan! They are working on their debut album Warm Heart of Africa and Ezra Koenig (singer of the afro-indie-pop band Vampire Weekend) lent his vocals to their first single. We’ll have to be patient, the album isn’t coming out until this fall. But they’ve got a mixtape/bootleg album out, which you can download for FREE from their MySpace!

The Very Best - Warm Heart Of Africa (feat Ezra Koenig). Get it here (YSI).

No comments:

Post a Comment